Friday, September 30, 2005

Smiling in the shadows

Ok, so last night I picked up the demo for Shadow of the Colossus, and myself and Alana came home and I got a chance to play it. My first play through left me disoriented to the new gameplay. I had to fiddle with the options as always. You know, inverting controls here and there. After tweaking the options I was soon galloping about. Speaking of galloping controlling the horse is amazing. It feels like an actual beast with weight and inertia. The X button is used to spur the horse and the left and right on the stick pull on the reigns. The sword, one of two weapons the bow being the other, is used to identify your destination. When raised into the sun the reflection will focus on the right path while you move it around.

After riding through the field and climbing up a cliff I soon encountered the meat of the demo... a colossus. The sword is used to identify the weak spots of the colossus in the same way it is used to determine the path to follow. The colossus itself was huge... HUGE. It truly lives up to its name. After about 20 minutes of running around in circles, and finding weakspots, and trying to determine the best course of action to tackle this thing I discovered the best path is up the foot. So, I started climbing, and stabbing, and climbing, and stabbing. I eventually got to the head and took down the massive creature. After the black arterial spray and the creature crumbled to the ground, these huge black snakes of energy swirled about in the air and soon shot through me, and BAMF end of demo.

The demo was good. The game will be incredible. I'd say in a whole it took me about 1/2 hour to determine how to take down the colossus and accomplish that task. There are supposed to be 16 colossuses (colossi?). I can only hope that they get more challenging as you progress through the game, because as a whole this one wasn't too hard to tackle.

Until the game is released...

...only The Shadow knows

Barked by 3kalb at 11:39 PM
Give a dog a bone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home